Monday, May 4, 2015

Breakfast of Champions

Before I got married, I wasn't really a breakfast person. Not because I don't love to eat, but because I love sleep more. If giving up breakfast meant I could sleep for fifteen more minutes, that was something I was willing to do. Yes, I am well aware of every single news story, blog, or comment about breakfast being the most important meal of the day. I get it. I just want sleep more.

Chris changed that about me. He insists that I eat breakfast - what a great man! He insists so much, that he will make it for me every single work morning. I am often in the bathroom, finishing getting ready, when he yells, "Breakfast is ready!" And patiently waits for me to come eat with him. It has become my favorite part of the morning - especially weekday mornings when we both have work. That five, ten, fifteen minutes of quiet time, sets my mood for the day. Especially because we always say a blessing on our food and our day.

Eating healthy is so hard. I think the hardest part is the fact that you have to do it again the next day, and the next, and the next. Didn't I get enough vegetables yesterday? What do you mean I have to start all over again?! Hard. It makes frozen dinners and packaged food really appealing. But that's not healthy.

This is what I did. [I pre-made breakfast]. Just for one day. Just to see what it would be like. Guess what? It really wasn't too bad! A lot better than having cold cereal, or not eating anything at all.

I have been only eating whole wheat bread. Not the healthiest, but also, not the worst. With it, I made french toast.
1 egg
1/4 cup almond milk
Cinnamon
Scramble, dip the bread in, and cook in a frying pan. I also made a fried egg. Protein, right? Instead of having syrup with my french toast, I had Greek Yogurt, blueberries, and strawberries. I made two pieces of french toast, and fried two eggs, and had one each one morning, and the others the next. Not bad. And so easy. I haven't tried reheating after more than one day, however, I think I may soon. I need to be creative these next couple of weeks, since we are traveling a lot. Saturdays are usually my prep days (as well as my cleaning days!).

Any tips on how to have a quick, but healthy breakfast?

No comments:

Post a Comment