Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Grilled Romaine Hearts

Okay, I definitely have some explaining to do. Try being a graduate student that commutes 1.5 hours every day to a full-time job, and then have time to keep your house clean, laundry done, have date night, being young women president, and also eat healthy and exercise, and then blog about it. Something has got to give! And lately it's been eating healthy and exercising. I will note, however, that I have tried hard to eliminate processed food from our home, and have loved how great it feels. Being a semi-newlywed (13 months now!), people are always asking when we are going to have a baby. Because I have a sit down job, and have been very lazy lately, I have gotten a chubby tummy. It's awesome not even a little awesome. I have been asked by several people when I'm due, or congratulated on becoming a mom. I'm not pregnant, just fat. And now, I am going to do something about that!

I have decided that eliminating processed food isn't enough. It is a very good start, however, I have still been eating candy and my homemade white bread. It's time to start eating clean. Which, I am not sure I even know what that means, but I am willing to learn! Also, I am going to start exercising, but this isn't the place to talk about that. :)

The other night, I did something that shocked my husband. First of all, I bought salad, and then I made salad for dinner. I haven't really been a leafy green person for awhile, but lately I have loved salad! This time, I bought romaine hearts and grilled them up! It was delicious!

First of all, you need to choose some that look good at the store. Because I live in small town Utah, our local grocery store has little to offer as far as fresh in the veggie aisle. I was able to find some pretty decent romaine hearts, however. When I got home, I washed one really well, and cut it in half. Then, I let it dry a bit. I lightly put some olive oil on both sides, and sprinkled garlic powder on the side with the cut. Then I turned them over to my husband, who will grill anything, even salad. He got the lettuce a little crispy (I think he was trying for an excuse not to eat it), but it tasted great anyway. After it was grilled, I put a little Caesar dressing and Parmesan cheese on top.  I am not sure if that is part of eating clean, but I wasn't about to eat plain lettuce!

We ate our romaine hearts with (crispy) chicken breasts that my husband seasoned with some chicken rub. I think it was one of the best dinners I have had for awhile! It was even satisfying! That might be partly attributed to the fact that I ate my husbands romaine lettuce as well as my own.... Silly man. So, there you go. I am not sure on approximate grilling time, but I also read several blogs that say you can roast them in the oven as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment